Sous Chef | Denver, CO
Sous Chef | Denver, CO
We are a high-growth team seeking a dedicated individual to work alongside our Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef in our commercial kitchen (located near downtown Denver). We are looking for someone who is self-motivated with strong administrative skills and a keen attention to detail. This individual would be responsible for inventory management, assisting with recipe development and consistently executing our plant-based sauces, dressings and meals as we grow and expand our meal delivery program. In this position, you will act as a leader on our kitchen team, following and enforcing our Executive Chef’s requirements and guidelines. Our ideal candidate is a creative professional who is willing to participate in creating delicious seasonal menus and meal designs.
An ideal candidate would be someone with previous experience in a high-volume catering business or plant-based restaurant. The ability to season, adjust and consistently execute recipes is key to this position. You must be able to execute menu items quickly and precisely, as we deliver/ship hundreds of meals each week.
We are looking for a Sous Chef who shares our passion for health and well-being. Our menu is backed by cutting-edge nutrition science and traditional healing wisdom, and as a company – our goal is to disprove common assumptions and myths surrounding plant-based lifestyles. Ideally, our new hire is passionate about plant-based cuisine and understands its nutritional benefits. Our current production days are Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Competitive salary
- Equity options in the company
- Paid vacation time: 15 days
- Complimentary meals on location. We believe that food is medicine, so our high quality, organic, plant-rich meals are designed to heal from the inside out.
- Assist with the preparation and planning of meal programs
- Carefully follow and uphold our high recipe standards
- Ensure that kitchen activities operate in a timely manner.
- Monitor and record inventory, and if necessary, order new supplies.
- Complete prep calls and help with additional kitchen admin tasks
- Provide support to junior kitchen employees with various tasks including food preparation and plating.
- Help train new kitchen employees to meet restaurant and kitchen standards.
- Create schedules for kitchen employees and evaluate their performance.
- Adhere to and implement sanitation regulations and safety regulations.
- Manage the kitchen team in the head chef's absence.
- Help develop new menu options based on seasonality
- Maintain high standards of sanitation and vegetable washing procedures
- Act with professionalism, respect, integrity, teamwork, excellence and continuous improvement at all times
- Have clear communication with Head Chef regarding any issues that may arise
- Maintain a positive reputation and relationships with guests, the service industry, our neighborhood, and community.
Desired Skill Set and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Science or relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar sous chef role, especially high-volume catering-style businesses – plant-based cooking experience is a plus!
- Strong knowledge of cooking methods, kitchen equipment, and best practices.
- Good time management – if you've worked in a high-volume production position in the past (such as catering) and enjoyed the thrill, then this position is for you.
- Strong administrative skills – you must have a basic understanding of Microsoft Excel.
- Good understanding of Google Suite and restaurant software programs.
- Teamwork-oriented with outstanding leadership abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to not only give feedback, but also receive it and self-recognize areas for growth
- Desire to learn more about plant-based cooking and flavor profiling.
- Contagiously positive and friendly with a “can-do” attitude, high energy level and diligent work ethic
- Goal-oriented, accountable and completes tasks on-time
- Open availability on Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays – we work daytime hours
- Understanding of nutrition and passion for clean eating also strongly preferred
Please email us the following, as well as anything else you think could help you convey your awesomeness:
- Cover letter
Job Type: Full-time
- Day shift